Facebook logo
Schedule Schedule Appointment Call Give us a Call Map View our Map
Download Our Forms Like Us on Facebook Leave a Google Review

Dental Implant Failure & Salvage – Coatesville, PA

Saving Your New & Improved Smile

Man with dental implant failure before salvage in Coatesville

With the average success rate of initial dental implant placement sitting at 95%, that leaves a 5% chance that you might experience a failed dental implant in Coatesville. While the benefits of these prosthetics far outweigh the risks, it’s important that you understand no oral surgery comes with a risk-free guarantee. The good news, however, is that should you notice a problem with your newly rebuilt smile, Dr. Simeone and our team can use dental implant salvage to save your tooth. If you think your dental implant may be loose or pain is continuing to increase after your oral surgery, contact us to schedule an appointment. Keep reading to learn more about dental implant failure and salvage in Coatesville, PA.

Why Do Dental Implants Fail?

Failed dental implant in Coatesville

Dental implants may be known for their durability, but they can develop problems that result in implant failure, such as:

  • Peri-implantitis, a disease that affects the soft oral tissues surrounding the implant
  • An unskilled implant dentist who improperly positions the post during surgery
  • Severe facial trauma
  • Overall health problems that result in a weakened immune system
  • Failed osseointegration

Of all the potential reasons for failure listed, peri-implantitis is the most common. Dr. Simeone places a strong emphasis on good oral hygiene after dental implants are put into place. If this does not remain a priority, you can expect bacteria to form and spread throughout your gums, negatively affecting your dental implants in Coatesville and resulting in failure.

Symptoms of Failed Dental Implants

Man with tooth pain due to failed dental implant in Coatesville

Identifying symptoms of dental implant failure may be easy for Dr. Simeone, but you should have a basic knowledge of what to look for, so you can get the help you need as soon as possible. The most common signs of implant failure include:

  • A loose dental implant
  • Pus forming on the gums near the dental implant
  • Difficulty eating or biting down
  • Swelling or bleeding near the failed dental implant
  • Increasing discomfort long after your oral surgery

How Dental Implant Salvage Works

Man preparing for dental implant salvage in Coatesville

Should Dr. Simeone believe dental implant salvage is necessary, he will begin by identifying the underlying cause of the problem and creating a treatment plan for you to review. Once you are satisfied, he will begin to restore your newly placed implants.

Depending on the cause, it may be necessary to use periodontal therapy to clean out the bacteria and plaque spreading throughout your soft oral tissues. If scaling and root planing are enough to adequately take care of the problem, there will be no need to remove the implant. Also, the damage to your jawbone, if severe, may require bone grafting to create a stable foundation for your implants.

In cases where the implant failed to fuse with the bone, severe facial trauma, or the dentist didn’t properly install the implant, Dr. Simeone may need to remove the existing dental implant. Once your gum tissues and bone are healed, we can determine if you can receive a new implant post.

American Dental Association logo Academy of General Dentistry logo Pennsylvania Dental Association logo American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry logo American Association of Orthodontists logo International Congress of Oral Implantologists logo Leukemia & Lymphoma Society logo Style Network logo Invisalign Gold Provider logo